Tuesday, December 10, 2013

My Workout for Kayak Strength Training

This is my current workout, about 90 minutes.  My heart rate will be steady around 130 - 140 bpm.  I pick a weight that will start fatiguing my muscles in the last 5 reps, with the last rep being slower than the rest.  I currently do this three times a week. 


1st Set: Repeat twice, no resting between exercises


  • Lateral & Front Arm Raises: Lateral & Front = 1 rep - 15x
  • Bicep Curl: 20x Slow Reps (SR), 10 count
  • Reverse Wrist Curl: 20x SR
  • Wrist Curl: 20x SR
  • Lateral Wrist Curl (giving a thumbs up): 20x SR
  • Bent Over Lateral Raises or Modified Dumbbell Rows (Upper arm is parallel with my shoulder plane, I have more control): 20x
  • Dumbbell Flies: 20x SR
  • Dumbbell Triceps Extension-laying prone: 20x SR
  • Dumbbell Pullover: 15x SR

2nd Set: Repeat twice, no resting between exercises
On the Cable Machine



  • Rotator Cuff Exercises - External & Internal Rotation: 20x each
  • Straight Arm Lat Pull Down: 15x SR
  • Back Extension: 15x SR - not on cable machine
  • Seat Row - wide bar: 15x
  • Seated Russian Twist - using cable machine: 20x both sides, mimics path of paddle stroke
  • Cybex Leg Squats: 15x 
Water Break

3rd Set: Repeat Twice, no resting between exercises

  • Russian Twist w Medicine Ball: 40x quick, keeping head facing forward while body rotates
  • Crunches with Medicine Ball: 30x
  • Side Plank Hip Lifts: 20x SR
  • Bench Press: 15x
  • Hanging Leg Raise: 30x

Protein Smoothie and Recovery Coffee 1/2 Caf



    No comments:

    Post a Comment